Board of Education Highlights: 11/17/20 Meeting
The following are highlights of discussions and actions from the Nov. 17, 2020 Board of Education meeting. For the full minutes and audio recordings from the meeting, please refer to “Agendas and Minutes” under the “Board of Education” section.
- Board of Education President Bill Holub noted that the Board will write to elected officials regarding COVID-19 micro-clustering. Superintendent of Schools Dr. Kusum Sinha further discussed the executive order on micro-clusters and associated requirements.
- Holub discussed changes to upcoming Board of Education Meeting topics. The Dec. 2 work session will feature a discussion associated with the Reopening Plan and next steps. An athletics presentation will take place at the Dec. 15 meeting, and the Jan. 5 meeting will include reports on special education and student achievement.
- The Board accepted donations and grants from the PTA that will provide blacktop and large games at Stewart School, outdoor seating at the middle school and sound amplification systems for large spaces at Stratford School and Stewart School.
- Jose Sanchez of ConEdison Solutions presented a Measurement and Verification Report on the district’s Energy Performance Contract, which is in its fifth year. The contract is expected to result in approximately $119,260 in savings this year and will cumulatively yield more than $4 million in total savings over its five-year time span.
- The Board approved revisions to several policies and regulations.
- The meeting included an announcement that the primary schools’ SCOPE afternoon programs will be returning to their home buildings as of Nov. 30. The morning sessions will stay at the high school.
- Sinha reminded parents that there will be an early dismissal on Nov. 24, prior to the Thanksgiving recess.
- Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum/Instruction Dr. Ted Cannone shared an update on the PARP program, which kicked off last week and features a variety of events. Students created Flipgrid presentations about their favorite books.