Return to Headlines
School Starting Time Study
Garden City Public Schools is researching modifications to the current school day start time that could impact several buildings. On June 14, 2016, the high school Site-Based Team presented its findings for a later start time at the Board of Education meeting.
As new information/presentations become available, they will be posted to this page.
- 12-11-18 - BOE Tables Changing School Start Times
- 10-17-17 - BOE Statement Regarding School Start Time Deferment
- 9/6/17 BOE Presentation - School Start Times - Fiscal Review
- 11/2/16 Start Time Steering Committee - Agenda
- 1/11/17 Start Time Steering Committee - Agenda
- 2/27/17 Start Time Committee - Agenda
- 3/8/17 Press Release: Changing School Start Times - An Idea Under Consideration
- 3/30/17 Start Time Committee - Agenda
- 4/18/17 Start Time Committee - Agenda
- 4-19-17 Press Release & Brochure: Community Forum Announcement & Invitation for May 1, 2017
- 5-3-17 Start Time Committee - Agenda
1. "Snooze or Lose" Dr. Helene Emsellem: Book read by HS Site-Based Team.
8. "Parents, educators: Later high school start times yield mixed results.": U.S. News & World Report
9. "Later school start times catch on nationwide." District Administration
10. "High school start times and the impact on high school students: What we know, and what we hope to learn."
Journal of Clinical Medicine
11. "School start times for middle school and high school students - United States, 2011-12 school year":
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
12. "The science of adolescent sleep": P. Klass, M.D. for the New York Times