Course: Eighth Grade Science
The eighth grade level R program is devoted to the Physical Setting. Emphasis is placed on further developing skills related to scientific inquiry and problem solving. Concepts introduced at this level serve as the foundation for understanding course work in high school Earth Science, Chemistry, and Physics. The students take the New York Intermediate Level Science Assessment Test at the end of the spring semester.
The instruction is focused on understanding important relationships, processes, mechanisms, and applications of concepts. Less important is the memorization of specialized terminology and technical details. The assessments will test students’ ability to explain, analyze, and interpret scientific processes and phenomena. Critical to understanding science concepts is the use of scientific inquiry to develop explanations of natural phenomena. Therefore, the students will have the opportunity to develop their skills of analysis, inquiry, and design through various inquiry activities and laboratory work on a regular basis.
Knowledge and Skill Objectives
The course is designed to prepare students to explain in their own words, both accurately and with appropriate depth, the most important ideas about our physical setting and our living environment. Through this curriculum, students will be able to do the following:
· Students will use mathematical analysis, scientific inquiry, and engineering design, as appropriate, to pose questions, seek answers, and develop solutions.
· Students will access, generate, process, and transfer information, using appropriate technologies.
· Students will understand the relationships and common themes that connect mathematics, science, and technology and apply the themes to these and other areas of learning.
· Students will apply the knowledge and thinking skills of mathematics, science, and technology to address real-life problems and make informed decisions.
Units of Study:
This course covers the following areas:
- Energy and Waves
- Stars and Solar System
- Lunar Motions
- Earth Motions
- Mapping Earth
- Properties of Matter
- Weather Systems
- Earth’s Materials
- Earth’s Crust and Interior
Tests & Quizzes 90%
Homework/ Labs 10%
Physical Setting with Earth Science, Glencoe
Intermediate Level Science Review, UPCO http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/ciai/mst/pub/intersci.pdf