Welcome to Garden City High SchoolScience Department
Support Science Learning at Home
The NYSED Office of Curriculum and Instruction released A Parent's Guide to the New York State P-12 Science Learning Standards. The guide addresses questions about the new learning standards and connect parents with additional Science resources to support learning at home.
New York State laboratory requirement for admission to a Regents examination in science
For admission to a Regents examination in science each student must complete the State- mandated 1200 minutes of hands-on laboratory with satisfactory laboratory reports. The laboratory component must be provided in addition to the required classroom instruction associated with earning a unit of credit. Laboratory reports must be kept on file for at least six months after the student takes a Regents examination in science.
Garden City High School Science Program
Garden City High School Library Research Guide
Dr. Elena CascioScience
The summer assignments must be completed by students who will be taking the following science courses:
- Honors Living Environment
- AP Environmental Science
- AP Biology
- AP Chemistry
- Science Research (for Juniors and Seniors only)
There are NO summer assignments for students taking other courses, including AP Physics C, Earth Science R, Living Environment R, Chemistry R or H, Physics R or H, and all College PLTW Engineering courses. There is NO summer assignment for incoming Freshmen or Sophomores who will be taking Science Research courses.
The assignments are due on September 15, 2022. They will count for 5% of the First Quarter average.
Students taking AP Biology and AP Chemistry classes must pick up their textbooks to complete the summer assignment.There is NO textbook to pick up for any other classes.
Science Teachers Talk About Their Courses:
(YOU MUST BE LOGGED INTO A GOOGLE ACCOUNT TO VIEW VIDEOS)
- HS Science Program Overview (by Dr. Cascio, Science Curriculum Coordinator)
- Honors Freshmen Research (by Ms. Flaherty, Research teacher)
- College PLTW Engineering program (by Ms. Sheil, College PLTW Engineering teacher)
- AP Environmental Science – open for students, including freshmen, who took Earth Science R (by Ms. Nakutavicius, AP Environmental Science teacher)
- Honors Science Research Program Overview (by Dr. Gordon, Science Research Teacher, Regeneron STEM Teaching Fellow, Certified STEM Leader)
- AP Chemistry (by Dr. Foley, AP Chemistry teacher) – Chemistry prerequisite; Physics pre-/co-requisite
- AP Biology (by Mr. Esposito, GCHS AP Biology teacher) – Chemistry pre-requisite