Physics provides the foundation for all natural sciences
Physics explains the fundamental laws of the universe and introduces important concepts that are essential for advanced study of chemistry, biology and all other branches of science.
Physics is essential for understanding chemistry. Without physics students cannot understand major chemical principles, for example
- The chemical bond
- Gas Laws
- Molecular collisions
- Electrochemical concepts
- KE and PE Energy
Physics and chemistry are essential for understanding biology. Without physics and chemistry students cannot understand major biology principles, for example
- Electrical impulses and action potential
- Electron transport, Krebs Cycle, and glycolysis
- Muscle contraction and relaxation
- DNA, Proteins, Lipids, Carbohydrates, ATP
- Ion channels
- Cell membranes
- Blood flow to and from the lungs and heart
- Cell division
- Blood pressure
- Diffusion and active transport
The last president of the National Institutes of Health was Francis Collins, a Physical Chemist.
The Harvard University scientist who provided dramatic advances in the field of biology is a synthetic organic chemist, Stuart Schreiber.
Below is the list of biological research that received Nobel Prize. Note that the researchers were awarded Nobel Prize in the Field of Chemistry (not Biology):
2009 Structure and function of the ribosome
2008 Discovery and development of Green fluorescent protein
2006 Study of molecular Eukaryotic Transcription
2004 The discovery of ubiquitin-mediated protein degradation
2003 Discoveries concerning channels in cell membranes
2002 The development of methods for identification and structure
analyses of biological macromolecules
Physics and chemistry are essential for understanding all other areas of science. Without physics and chemistry students cannot understand major principles of any science-related field, including geology, meteorology, environmental science, astronomy, engineering, nursing, physical therapy and many others:
- Engineer is an applied scientist who uses physics and chemistry every day.
- Our space program was developed by physical chemists and physicists.
- High and low pressures are understood through physics and chemistry.
- A physician cannot prescribe a drug if they do not understand molecules and how they are metabolized in the liver through CYT P450 deoxygenase.
- The chemicals that are polluting the environment must be analyzed by an environmental chemist.
The list goes on. Physics and Chemistry are the Central Sciences. Without understanding these sciences you can never really understand any other sciences.