5th Grade Music
Fifth grade music brings an exciting year!
The fifth grade usually attends a dress rehearsal at the
Metropolitan Opera House.
Students will be studying the opera with various
classroom activities. This year's opera trip will be on Monday, April 9th to see Cendrillon by Jules Massenet . We will be traveling to the Metropolitan Opera House in Manhattan.
During the Fall & Winter the 5th Grade
will have the chance
to perform in a musical. This year's play will be
announced this month. STAY TUNED!!!!
Students learn all aspects of
performing and putting on a musical. This study begins
begin in late September and continues throughout February. The Grade 5 musical will take place on Wednesday, February 7th and Thursday, February 8th at 9am and 7pm. The snow make up date will be on Friday, February 9th.After the play fifth grade students are invited to participate in the select chorus. This chorus meets once a week during the school day and we focus on developing vocal skills through use of solfege, rounds, two part singing and sight reading. The chorus will participate in the final vocal concert of the year. This year's select chorus concert will be held on Thursday, June 7th at 9am.
Throughout the year we incorporate the following
musical practices into our classroom:
- Opera Unit Study- Cendrillon - April 9, 2018 PTA Opera Trip
- Composer study and listening
- Incorporating instrument performance, movement, and singing skills through the use of Orff Instruments and practice
- Use of improvisation on voice and instruments
- Appreciation of America's own musical heritage and it's relation towards our history
- Student response and analysis to selected musical works
- Introduction to Musical Theatre
- Student also have the option to participate