College Course Information:
It is strongly suggested that your child contact the College/University that (s)he would like to attend to verify if the credit(s) is/are accepted. If the University does not accept the credit(s), ask if you may appeal and then, the student can request a copy of the curriculum from Mr. Giacalone, the 6-12 Coordinator.St. John’s University
College Advantage ProgramFall 2022Deadlines:
Application Opens August 24, 2022
Application Closes September 30, 2022
Payment Deadline October 7, 2022REGISTRATION and QUESTIONS: www.stjohns.edu/ApplyCASt. John's College RegistrationPLEASE NOTE PERTINENT INFORMATION BELOW:
If your child is taking the course(s) for college credit, St. John’s University will once again have on-line registration. Students who are taking the course for college credit must register/pay for the course on-line via the SJU website. Please be advised that SJU will not make any exceptions for missed deadlines. It is the responsibility of the student/parent to ensure that deadlines are met, not the teacher, WL Department nor GCHS.
Academic year- 2022-2023FOR JUNIORS:JUNIORS Minimum 85 AVERAGE in the five subjects (English, mathematics, social studies, languages, and science) + combined Math and Critical Reading minimum SAT OF 1080 (1080 PSAT) or minimum ACT OF 21 -OR - Minimum 90 AVERAGE in the five subjects without standardized test scores
FOR SENIORS:SENIORS Minimum 80 AVERAGE in the five subjects (English, mathematics, social studies, languages, and science) + combined Math and Critical Reading minimum SAT OF 1080 (1080 PSAT) or minimum ACT OF 21 -OR - Minimum 85 AVERAGE in the five subjects without standardized test scoresFor all students enrolled in College Language Courses:Students have initially enrolled for the course through their school counselor and those students will receive HS credit with a 1.06 weight. However, as indicated above, if the student is taking the course for college credit, students will need to officially register in through St. John’s University and all payments will be submitted electronically through SJU portal. the link is listed above. It is the responsibility of the student/parent to ensure that deadlines for registration via SJU are met not the teacher, WL Department nor GCHS. If a student misses the registration deadline, as per SJU, there is no retroactive registration.After graduation, should College Advantage students choose to enroll in St. John's University, (s) he will receive a $2,000 tuition grant for each of the four years of their undergraduate study. Any student who chooses to attend another college/university must request from St. John’s an official transcript that will be sent to the college/university of his/her choice. The transcript link is below.Registration and Payment Information:
- Students must meet the above mentioned criteria.
- Students must register via SJU website. stjohns.edu/ApplyCA This is the responsibility of the student not the teacher nor GCHS. If a student misses the registration deadline, as per SJU, there is no retroactive registration.
- After completing the on-line application, SJU will process the application (this will take approximately 1 week)
- SJU will issue both electronic and paper bills- both will be sent to the contact information that the student provides on the on-line application.
- Paper bills will include courses in which the student is registered
- Both the electronic and paper bills will contain instructions regarding how to submit a payment.
- Payments must be paid in full no later than the date indicated by SJU.
- Failure to remit payment to SJU will result in courses being dropped and registration rescinded.
- As per SJU, once dropped from a course for non-payment, students will not be reinstated nor be permitted to enroll in a spring course as the fall term is the pre-requisite.
Points of Information as per St. John’s University:
- The course will be offered at a reduced tuition rate of $325.00 per course (subject to change), which is one semester in length.
- Withdrawals are not permitted unless the student leaves school or is dropped from the course by administration.
- A failing grade does not automatically warrant a withdrawal.
- No new students may be added to the roster after registration.
- All students must have a social security number to be enrolled
Please be advised that if your child is registered for the St. John's Course, he she will receive a number grade on his/her report card. However, if (s)he is taking the course for College Credit, a letter grade will need to be submitted to St. John's. St. John's will then mail an official grade report to your home with the student's letter grade for the course. Below please find the link for the grade conversions.
REQUESTING A SJU TRANSCRIPT:
IIt is to be noted that when taking a college course, the University considers you an adult; therefore, the request for a transcript must be made by the student, not the parent/guardian. Requesting a transcript is the responsibility of the student, not the teacher, WL Department nor Garden City High School.
f you took the College Course for College Credit, you may request a free transcript from SJU by the following:
1. Use the following link:
2. Once you open the link, scroll down. In the middle of the page, click on Request a Transcript . Please be advised that you are requesting a transcript from the Queens Campus.
3. Be sure to complete all of the required information and to sign the form. Mail in the form. As per SJU, no over the phone, online, or fax requests will be accepted.
NOTE: As per SJU Policy, all requests must come from students, not parents/guardians.