Presented by: Detective Pedone
Project Pride stands for Peer Resistance Instruction Drug Education. The program is facilitated by Garden City Police Officer Detective Pedone . Project Pride will be facilitated in each fifth grade classroom for three periods per class.
By the end of the program students will be able to:
- Identify the various types of drugs and alcohol
- Know the short and long term effects drugs and alcohol have on the body and brain
- Be able to define the word peer pressure
- Discuss the process of making healthy decisions
- Describe the role self esteem plays on making good choices
Resources for talking with children about drugs and alcohol:
KIDS HEALTH- provides a variety of topics for parents, children, and teens about drugs and alcohol.
NIDA- provides an excellent website for teenagers about drugs and alcohol.
Garden City Community Coalition- Organization comprised of parents, educators, social workers and community members dedicated to encouraging positive behavioral choices for Garden City residents of all ages. The Coalition is committed to supporting and encouraging family, community and school-based initiatives that promote healthy lifestyles.