GARDEN CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Inspiring Minds, Empowering Achievement, Building Community
2022-2023 Universal Pre-Kindergarten Program (UPK)Monday-Friday
No cost to participate in this program
The program will be located at Homestead Primary School.
Parents who applied for a UPK spot will receive an email between Saturday, August 6 and Monday, August 8 with a zoom link from GC Webinar for the lottery to be held on Tuesday, August 9 at 10a.m. The lottery will be live and recorded.
Each application will be assigned a number. Numbers 1-40 will be offered seats, numbers 41-total number of applicants will be assigned a spot on the waiting list.
For the lottery, each child is treated as a separate registration. This includes siblings.
On August 10, email notification will be sent to the 40 students who earned seats and then after, the remainder of the families will be emailed with their number on the waiting list.
There will be an informational meeting on August 15 at 10 am, (via ZOOM-link to meeting emailed on August 10, 2022) registration will be held on August 16 and 23 from 9a.m. -12p.m. at Homestead School and the Student/Parent Meet and Greet will be held at Homestead School On August 24 at 9a.m. If you are unable to attend either of the registration sessions, please call Central Registration at 478-1067 to register. Please complete by August 23, 2022.
Anyone who was chosen to receive a spot who does not complete the registration process by August 23 at 3p.m. will lose their spot.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Any child who resides in the Garden City Public Schools and who is four years old on or before December 1,2022. Child must attend all five days for the entire school year. There is no part-time option for this program.
WHEN AND WHERE CAN I OBTAIN AN APPLICATION?
- All applications must be completed using the Online Application Form located on the District’s Website. Go to www.gardencity.k12.ny.us. On the main webpage click on the link for Universal Pre-K. Please submit the on-line application by August 5, 2022.
WILL MY CHILD BE ENROLLED IN THE PROGRAM UPON RECEIPT OF MY APPLICATION?
- No. Since the program is grant funded and not paid for by taxpayer dollars, there is a limited number of children that can be served. Currently, we can offer 40 seats. If there are more eligible children each year than openings in the program, a lottery will be held. If a lottery is necessary, all applications received by August 5, 2022, will be included in the lottery, and selected randomly. The lottery will be held on August 9. A wait list will be created.
WHEN WILL I RECEIVE NOTIFICATION THAT MY CHILD WAS ACCEPTED?
- Letters of notification of acceptance will be emailed and mailed to parents with registration instructions following the lottery.
DISTRICT REQUIREMENTS FOR REGISTRATION:
- Birth certificate
- Physician's verified proof of immunizations
- Proof of residence
All program entrants must satisfy registration requirements to be included in the program.
TRANSPORTATION IS NOT PROVIDED FOR THIS PROGRAM
For further information regarding registration requirements, please call: District Registration 516-478-1067